Sunday, December 6, 2009

Inspired by Sarah!

Give: 12/4/09

As a teacher I find myself "giving" nearly everyday. Not because I "have" to, but because my students come from low socioeconomic status' and I think the smallest compliment is worth more to them than anything. Having said that, my give for Friday was as follows:

One of my freshmen Christian is in his 2nd go-around in my Biology A class. Still to immature for his own good, he is noticeably trying harder this trimester and I can see the elation in his eyes when he can answer a question in class with a raised hand (even though the content is a repeat for him, I am still very proud). Friday we had a chapter test; he bombed it. Instead of just giving up on him, I "gave" to him. I found him at lunch, told him his score and let him come in to "fix" the questions he got wrong (essentially giving him a second chance). He was very grateful. I re-graded his test on the spot and felt so good at giving him a 78% instead of the 40% he received originally. He was so grateful and left with a big smile on his face due to his accomplishment!

Give # 1-check! ;)

1 comment: