Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Give 12/9/09

One of my new students (just recently transferred from inner city LA) in my Biology class has only been with me for approximately two weeks (two weeks late into the new trimester). Having transferred from inner city LA, and associated with some not so upstanding citizens in that region, my student has a bit of a reputation. Looking for a clean start, he has began his education at Woodlake Highs School.

Since he has entered my class he has done nothing but improve daily. He works hard, turns in his homework, participates in class, completes assignments with accuracy and in a timely fashion; essentially, he should be an inspiration to my other students. Today, as I was sitting in my office afters school this student infiltrated my mind.

Knowing his family speaks Spanish I wrote a quick memo in English praising their son and his efforts in my class over the last few weeks. After I wrote the note I utilized an online translation database and had my English version translated into a Spanish version. After having one of our office receptionists give my note a once over to make sure all grammar was correct, I plopped that note into the outgoing mail. It was just as exciting as putting a letter to Santa in the mailbox bound for the North Pole. I was delirious with excitement at the anticipation of his parents receiving such positive news.

I am so excited for my student's parents. All to often parents receive negative information about their student from the school they are attending; I wanted their next correspondence to be a good one! I hope today's "give" lands itself right, smack dab, on the refrigerator!

No comments:

Post a Comment