Friday, April 30, 2010

Guilt

Now I am as fond of social networking as the next person (or most of them anyway) but even I have to take a step back and realize how damaging it can be; if not for the person exposing their entire life, but also in instances where people post things they should not.

Case in point. Last night before bed I thought I would take a situation that happened to me at school and turn it into a funny and post it for a few good laughs on facebook. Mission accomplished...I did get the funny comments but I also go some very humbling ones from people who saw not the funny, but the true turmoil behind the post. Guilt set in.

I immediately wanted to kick myself in the fanny. Why did I do that? I am not that kind of person. Why do I continue to disappoint myself when I know I can do better? I sought out humor at the expense of a student who is going through a really hard time. A student whom I truly adore; how could I be so malicious?

Needless to say, the post was deleted by me immediately. I hope I can be forgiven! Can anyone relate!?

2 comments:

  1. I've done something similar to that, except I was complaining about my mother in law and how she had only been in town for less than 3 hours and already had me in tears. THAT got the comments rolling in...until a friend sent me a message saying that maybe it wasn't best to air my dirty laundry about her because 1- it's personal business, 2- she's not MY mom, she's my husband's mom...how embarrassing for him, and 3- it was just sorta wrong.

    The minute I read his message, I realized he was totally right & I felt MISERABLY about posting that. I deleted it immediately, and now I try really, really hard to think before I post (doesn't always happen!) I type it out & then say to myself, "Am I going to be embarrassed if the person who decides if I get into nursing school reads this?" or "Is the person I'm posting this about going to be offended, upset, sad, etc?"

    But hey, it happens..we're only human, after all! It says a lot about your character that you felt remorseful and deleted it. I still love ya & think nothing less of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sar! That makes me feel so much better. Sometimes the hardest lesson to learn is that we are still human!! :)

    ReplyDelete